Software Manager – Java, Algorithms, Mentor Role, Growing & Disruptive Firm
Why should I apply here?
- Startup with mature roots from a large parent company
- New product development, technical challenges
- Passionate management team with a successful track record
- Ground-floor opportunity to work on disruptive technology
- Cubicles, collaborative environment, think-outside-the-box mentality
- Excellent benefits, high retention rate, work/life balance
- Chance to grow a team and serve as a key contributor to the company
What will I be doing?
- Managing and growing a team of 15 junior- to senior-level engineers for distributed systems software development in Java
- Overseeing multiple projects (including budgets), solving problems through prioritization
- Identifying impactful projects and allocating resources
- Aligning technical objectives with business goals
- Mentoring team members and helping them grow personally and professionally
- Putting your strong technical foundation to use, about 30% hands-on technical work
- Fostering a culture of accountability and making decisions for the team as needed
- Providing ‘micro’ feedback and open communication channels to encourage honesty
- Reading business reports from P&L statements to cash flow analysis
- Serving as an Agile coach
What skills/experience do I need?
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Manager for a team of at least 15 developers (must be direct reports) for a commercial software company
- Background in software development using an object-oriented language such as Java
- Experience developing software and algorithms in a distributed systems environment
- First-hand familiarity with overseeing a budget
- Understanding of P&L reports and cash flow analysis
- Ability to see the big picture without losing sight of the details
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence
What will make my résumé stand out?
- Strong mathematics background
- Some hardware development experience
- A high retention rate for previously managed teams
Location: Dallas, TX
Citizenship: U.S. citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. This company is currently unable to provide sponsorship.
Salary: 140 – 170k